Thursday, March 26, 2009

Help Set A Record...

So I came across a pretty interesting article from PRweekus.com entitled "Cotton Inc. and 'National Geographic' align efforts". It is about how Cotton Inc. and National Geographic Kids magazine want to set a record by collecting the most jeans. So for the next three months in NG kids magazine they will be encouraging readers to help contribute to this collection.
Cotton Inc. has been doing this for three years. They intend to not only make a world record, but to use these recycled jeans and turn them into environmentally friendly home insulation. The insulation is then used to build homes in areas affected by natural disasters.
The age ranges in which NG kids reaches is mainly 6 - 14, as the article states. Cotton Inc.'s campaign, "Cotton: From blue to green" has been going on for 3 years, like previously stated, and they are going to launch the site that is linked to that by March 27. But now with NG's help maybe they'll be able to reach their goal and help out many others.
Stated on the NG kids' donation part of their website, it takes 500 pairs of jeans to insulate an average U.S. home. They would like the jeans received by June 30, 2009. Also on this article it gives more insightful information about what they're doing. This info is as follows:
The COTTON. FROM BLUE TO GREEN.® denim drive is a call-to-action to donate denim and give it "new life" by converting it into UltraTouch™ Natural Cotton Fiber Insulation.
UltraTouch™ is composed of 85% recycled fibers and is an environmentally safe, non-itch natural cotton fiber insulation.
Recently, according to a press release from Cotton Inc., Cotton Inc. received 5000 pounds of denim from Monsanto. Also, straight from the article, "In the past three years, the Cotton. From Blue to Green.® denim drive traveled to 37colleges throughout the nation and worked with retail partners and corporations to collect an astounding 89,799 pieces of denim. "
That is pretty impressive, and if having the NG helping out gets them more, they will be able to get a lot more denim sent to them. Hopefully they are advertising on channels that have kids that subscribe to National Geographic.
Overall, that is great public relations for both of the companies. Helping the Earth be greener. It is the way to go after all.

5 comments:

  1. This is amazing. I have never heard of this before and what a great thing. It sounds like they are getting the word out and receiving lots of help from people all over. Not only are they learning about community service but they are helping our environment as well.
    There are many learning points from this project. They have done a lot of hard work and I think it will all pay off for them in the end. Not only are they learning life lesson but so are the people who are donating to their cause as well. Great Article!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for posting about this. I would likely have not heard about it otherwise, and I have a pile of old jeans that I was just going to throw out or see if anyone wanted for quilting--I doubt they would since they are farmer jeans--full of stains and holes. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's a great idea! It is truly amazing all of the advances and discoveries being made in making our planet more eco friendly and energy efficient. I am definitely into the whole "Green Movement" and this is just another example of how dedicated our generations are really working towards a better earth! I have a bunch of jeans that I could contribute and I think I will. I don't know if I would've known about their partnership had you not posted this. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think that it is great that Cotton Inc. paired up with the magazine National Geographic Kids to get the word out about this project. I think that it is a great idea and it will only get better as more people become informed about it. Just think about how many pairs of jeans they could collect if more people knew about what cotton is doing. A litte more PR for this project is the only thing missing. I know that i will def be donating my old jeans, now that I know about this.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have heard about recycling jeans and using it as home insulation. I just love all of the ways people are using everyday objects in a way that recycles old things and turns them into new. After hearing about something like this you always wonder to yourself how you can do what other people are doing. I agree with Jess in that a little more PR could go a long ways in getting more people to donate their old jeans. I know I have a few pairs of old work jeans that are sitting in the bottom of my dresser that I haven’t worn in years. Whoever wants them can have them!

    ReplyDelete